Directions / Getting There
To drive to the lodge you require a vehicle with relatively high clearance; 4×4 is not necessary unless during our rainy season, (traditionally October to March).
Should your vehicle not be suitable, we can arrange parking at a neighbouring reserve with transfers to Makongo Hills Lodge.
From Johannesburg (6 hours)
- Exit from Johannesburg on the Witbank N4
- Take the Middelburg exit to Hendrina
- Continue towards Ermelo on the N11
- Continue towards Piet Retief on the N2
- Stay on the N2 North until you reach Pongola. See below
From Durban (5 hours)
- Exit from Durban to Stanger on the N2 North
- Staying on the N2 North, continue past Empangeni, past Mkuze to Pongola
- Do not take the R69 Candover turnoff from the N2, but rather continue all the way to Pongola. See below
From Pietermaritzburg (5 hours)
- Exit off the N3 onto the R74 towards R103 and Colenso.
- Turn right.
- Follow signs to Dundee through Ezakheni Industrial area in Ladysmith.
- From Dundee, travel towards Vryheid for 70km.
- Turn right towards Louwsburg.
- After 6km, take a right turn on the R69 towards Louwsburg and Mkhuze.
- Travel along this road for approximately 100km, and you will see signs for “KwaZulu Private Game Reserve”. See below
… From Pongola
- Once in Pongola, take the R66 towards Nongoma.
- Continue for approximately 20kms.
- Turn right onto the R69 to Vryheid/Louwsburg.
- Continue for 2km, turn left onto a dirt road at the brown sign that says “Mpilo” and “Amakhosi Lodge”.
… From Mpilo Private Game Reserve
- Go through the security gate, then follow the main dirt road.
…Your game viewing begins now
- You will go through a second automated gate.
- Carry on along the road – BUT instead of going right where a sign reads “Lodge”, carry on towards the river. There is a sign here saying Ven-Africa Private Game Reserve.
- Cross the low-level bridge and continue along the road until you reach the reserve gate.
… To the lodge
- Open the gate and continue along the main road for approximately 8 km. Follow the signs to the homestead.
- All reserves you drive through are Big 5 reserves, be cautious and do not get out of the vehicle